Saturday, January 14, 2017

Week Sixty Four: Almost Christmas

Hello my dear everyone,

How is the holidays? How is Christmas time? Are you all remembering Jesus?

It is strange to see how different things are in the city as opposed to the small rural areas. Last year in Bindura Christmas crept up like a thief in the night. This year because of being near Harare and Gweru, two larger cities, it has been pretty obvious that it is Christmas time. Garland in the windows, Christmas songs over the store loud-speakers, Pictures of "Father Christmas" saying "Ho Ho Ho", images of snowflakes and the such, yet it is warm and rainy season.

This "thief in the night" is very clumsy this year. We heard him driving up the street. we are watching as he tries to open the building and climb in.

But Gweru is awesome. I love the place, the people, the area, and my companion. All is great.

This last week we had a super productive day the the area. We gave out pass along cards like crazy, and had 11 new investigators and many lessons. It was super amazing. But then our hearts broke on Sunday. Not a single investigator comes to church. The same last week, and apparently most weeks. It is a miracle to see even 1 at church. My heart aches when a chapel is mostly empty. But the Lord will provide a way for us. His work moves forward.

The rainy season is continuing. The zone is baptizing. It is a much smaller zone here, and I think our goal was 20 this month (established before I arrived) and so we are hoping to reach it. The Mission had a goal of 2000 for the year and as of this week we have about 165 more to reach that goal. Which would be awesome and a wonderful miracle. The last day for these baptisms to be counted for the year, is Sunday the 25th, when those baptized can be confirmed (since the following Sunday is January). A very fitting birthday-gift to the Savior I think.

I wish I had pictures to share today, but I do not. So I will share what was once shared with me last December.


Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good week.
-Elder Wilcken

No comments:

Post a Comment