Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Week Twenty-Two: Miracles and Snowball Fights

Hello my loved ones,
This week was in some ways unbelievable.

Ponderizing: Mathew 19:26 "But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible."

Here is a brief summary:
First of all we invited 4 more people to commit to baptism, 3 of them were invited with help from Elder Dube. Secondly I was dying for a day (it most likely wasn't malaria). And thirdly, We had a snowball fight in the heat of summer, in Zimbabwe.

So on Tuesday we taught our very powerful investigating family. The ones that take notes. I don't know if I mentioned this previously, but just in case I didn't, this family is very good friends with the Dube family. The mother was actually taught by the father Elder Dube.
So we got to the appointment and then we learn that the younger Elder Dube the one serving his mission in the states, received permission to help with the lesson via skype. So we were able to teach this family the Plan of Salvation with help from the Missionary who convinced them to learn about the church. And they gladly accepted the invitation to be baptized. It was so very powerful.


So then the next day I was dying. Completely. Okay not really but still. I tell this story not so that people worry. But so that people know my testimony.
John 11:4 "When Jesus heard that, he said, This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby."

It started out with some minor pain and discomfort in my abdomen, then it moved on to joint pain, headache, nausea, chills, fever, etc. All while I was in my desk chair. I kept deciding I was fine but then it got to the point where I couldn't even drink water, all I could do was sit in my chair perfectly still looking across the room to a picture of the Savior. After a while I finally got up and walked over to my companion's office, dropped my vial of oil on his desk, and said simply "when you aren't busy". I then went and sat back in my chair and did my best.
I say "did my best", because this was seriously a major struggle for me. I could barely move. I think I sat still in the office for like 4 hours total that day. I know my words can't do justice seriously how bad off I was.
After a minute or two one of the other Elders told me that the Assistants weren't busy and could give me a blessing right then. So I went with them into another room and they proceeded to give me a priesthood blessing.
Immediately after I was still very sick, but I had improved enough to where I could down a bottle of water, and walk around and perform basic tasks. I was feeling well enough to even feel hungry. So Elder Shepherd and I went to lunch. Then went to go run an errand for someone in the Ward.
The sun did not help my condition. I was already feeling really tired, I still had a fever, but then we had to stand around in the heat for like half an hour. By the time we finished our errands I felt again like I was dying, except this time I could barely stay awake. Finally one of the assistants took me back to the apartment and told me to sleep.
I napped from 4pm to 8pm. When I woke up i felt immensely better. We went and got dinner, then I again slept and slept peacefully all through the night. When I woke up at 6:30am the next day, you wouldn't have been able to tell I was sick at all. Many of the other office workers were amazed at my sudden health.
I'll let you think what you will, but I know for myself the power of priesthood blessings.


So now onto the fun part. On the following day, Thursday, I was performing my normal office duties. When we were preparing to close up for the day I noticed that the fridge in the back store room had frozen itself open. For Weeks it had had a huge block of ice like half the size of the compartment, so I decided to start chipping it out.
This was when I discovered that it wasn't a block of ice, it was a front layer of ice covering a bunch of powdered ice behind it. I filled up about half of a trashcan with basically snow. I then went out to Elder Shepherd, looked him in the eye and told him "this may be Elder Nyatsambo's only opportunity to be hit by a snowball." So I went outside with the bucket and hid, the other office elder, Elder Sibanda hid behind a bush with his camera, and then Elder Shepherd lead Elder Nyatsambo out of the mission office.
It was perfect. He ran so hard and got so far. But in the end he still got pelted with powdered snow.
I then threw a snowball at Elder Shepherd, and that was the start of the fight.
I don't think there has ever before been a missionary snowball fight in Zimbabwe.

So within 3 days I saw at least 3 miracles. They may not all have been showy or spectacular, but they were all life changing for different people.

I know that I am here doing the Lord's work. I know that miracles have not ceased, they only get delayed because of lack of faith. The Lord is still mindful of the world, He has not abandoned it. All things are possible to him that believes.

Have a wonderful week, may the Lord bless you in all that you do.
-Elder Wilcken

No comments:

Post a Comment