Saturday, February 6, 2016

Week Eighteen: Taking Off the Proverbial Training Wheels

Taking Off the Proverbial Training Wheels
Hello my loved ones. I appreciate you taking the time to read this, how are you doing?

For those who wish to skim over this email, here is the gist of it:
This week happened. The office couple went home.
We did some things in the office on our own. It was difficult but I pulled through. 
Elder Shepherd is a great companion. I have great love for him.
I got a haircut, I'm unsure how I feel about it though.
We just had a zone conference. It was an experience.
I am happy to be serving mission.
Ponderizing Mathew 25:40

Now here is the full report:
This week finally happened. The office couple went home, the training wheel were removed and I got to find out exactly how well my training went. I thought it will be an easy transition. Then the day after they flew out I received an email asking what type of mailing labels we use. I have no idea what those even are.

President Mkhabela and his Assistants were also gone for two days while at the Gweru Zone Conference, so Elder Shepherd and I were left to man the office on our own. It was a bit daunting but it was alright. We did some things in the office on our own. I sent welcome letters to missionaries, inputted baptismal records, and dealt with ordering lunches for the zone conferences. It was very difficult to keep track of everything. There were times that I didn't have anything to do (that I could think of), which worried me because I felt there was a lot to do. So I made lists, did things, and made some mistakes. But I pulled through.

Elder Shepherd is a great companion. He is so very supportive, and just a terrific guy. He and I have had many opportunities to just sit and talk, (like before going to bed, not wasting time). We also had a lot of fun on our hike last week. I have told him a few times that I would invite him to my wedding with no hesitation. Seriously. I have no doubt this companionship was inspired. I have great love for him.

I got a haircut for the zone conference, since my hair was getting a little shaggy. I asked the guy to not shape my hairline, like they do with everyone here, because I've felt previously it makes my head look weird. Since my head isn't very symmetrical. But he refused to let me go without shaping it. The AP, Elder Nyatsambo says it looks "fresh" but remember, the culture is different here. I'm unsure how I feel about it, though I do sometimes think I look good.

We just had a zone conference. My first one as the mission secretary. I was in charge of the food, and there were some complications, but in general it was okay. I also got to organize the mail for the missionaries and get it distributed to them. It started raining so I also decided to ferry people back and forth with the umbrellas. It was very interesting and I learned I have much more to learn, but it was an important experience.

I am still very happy to be serving the Lord here in the Zimbabwe Harare mission. I know that he is mindful of me and I know what I am doing here in the office is important.

I didn't mention my ponderizing scripture last week, but it was Mathew 25:40. I know it is encouraged to choose a new one each week, but I think I will keep this one for this week. "And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

Until Next week, I love you all.
-Elder Wilcken

No comments:

Post a Comment