Sunday, February 26, 2017

Week Sixty-Eight: Miracles Have Not Ceased!


Dear Everyone,

This week was a great week.

We had a wonderful Baptism for Brother Simon, and 5 other individuals for the other elders. Brother Simon is learning very well and his testimony was very powerful.

He shared how at first when we invited him to church he thought we weren't serious so he didn't go. Then we were scheduled to see him on Tuesday at noon. He then told everyone how he waited at home until 2pm and we didn't show up, thus we weren't serious. But then at 3pm he saw us and let us teach him. We again invited him to church and he thought "maybe these guys are serious" and thus he started coming to church. Now in our defense, Tuesdays are often very busy for zone leaders. But that is no excuse to be late.

He bore a powerful testimony about the church and the Book of Mormon. And then on Sunday, yesterday, he was confirmed a member of the church.

Yesterday we also had no investigators show up to sacrament meeting. The reason? It was raining super hard. And no one here has cars really. Our Mission vehicle is often the only thing in the parking lot. But then to our surprise, a really drenched mama showed up during Gospel Principles class. Her name is Sister Tamwa.

We met her daughter while teaching another investigator. We let her join the lesson and scheduled a time to teach her. When we came to her house the mama was busy but said we could start. Near the end of the Restoration lesson the mama joined us, so we reviewed everything we had previously shared real briefly.

When we got to Joseph Smith, I asked her if she ever wondered why there were so many churches.
"Oh yes I have, in fact just the other day I was asking myself that. I don't want to lie, I'm not going to church right now. I was going to an apostolic church but then the prophet said something [that she didn't like] and since then I've been sitting at home every Sunday, But I want to go to a church so I've been talking to my daughters about finding a new church for us. Then my daughter told me she met two pastors (us) who taught her and that they were coming to see us and she said 'mama this could be the church you were looking for' so I am going to go to your church now. When do you meet?"

Now that is paraphrased, but that is what she said. We told her Sundays from 9-12, and then commenced with the rest of the lesson. We told her about the restoration of the church through Joseph Smith and then gave them a Book of Mormon to which she said "Oh my daughters are going to fight for that book, they aren't good at sharing". She told us many times "I am coming on Sunday, I will see you there."

And sure enough, she came, drenched from head to toe, literally dripping water, because she didn't have an umbrella. She told us she commenced with her two daughters but they turned back in the rain. She walked all the rest of the way alone and when she arrived, found a member and asked where the missionaries were since we were the only ones she knew.

Sister Tamwa joined the relief society class and was welcomed wonderfully. After church when we asked how it was, she said it was wonderful and that she is coming to an activity on Saturday at 2pm with the Sisters.

Later that afternoon we came to visit her and her two daughters. The mother was telling her daughters how wonderful church was. We taught them the introduction to the Book of Mormon and they understood well. We then invited them to each read it, ponder it, and pray to ask if it is true. To which she responded "It's true." We were surprised a bit, but told her it was good and I promised that if she prays she will know for certain it is true. To which she said "It's true, I know it's true. The introduction said it is true." She and her daughters all agreed to read it. (we gave them an extra copy to avoid contention)
I have found truth in the words of the Savior: "Mine elect hear my voice and harden not their hearts".

It was wonderful. It warms my heart. It is true.

But anyway, that is pretty much all I had to report on. I will attach pictures of the Great Zimbabwe trip for last week's email.

Have a wonderful week all of you,
-Elder Wilcken















No comments:

Post a Comment